Do you want to study Tibetan language online, but with an experienced Western scholar and translator, who can explain Tibetan words and grammar to you in English? Do you want to know how a translator would analyze a Tibetan text, directly from the source?
Erick Tsiknopoulos, a professional Tibetan-English translator who has been working in the Tibetan-English translation and interpretation field since 2008 and studying Tibetan since 2004, offers a unique and effective Tibetan language online learning experience. These classes are done live with the teacher via video call and/or audio call, and are structured in one-on-one, private learning sessions. Group courses are also available through Zoom.
Each course is specifically designed to students’ personal learning goals and interests. During each course, students may focus on either classical (literary) Tibetan or spoken (colloquial) Tibetan language as their main focus of study.
Courses on Tibetan-English translation theory and technique, as well as courses which cover particular Tibetan texts, are also offered.
For more information, please contact the teacher by email:
Types of Courses Offered
- Courses of different lengths and time-frames: Introductory Courses (5 classes), Short Courses (10 classes), Medium Courses (20 classes), Long Courses (40 classes) and Extensive Intensive Courses (80 classes).
- Single classes are not possible. Students must select a Short Course (5 classes) at minimum.
- Classes are 1 hour or 60 minutes in length.
- Longer class times, such as one and half hours (90 minutes) or two hours (120 minutes) are available upon request, and their prices will be adjusted accordingly.
Choosing Your Tibetan Language Course
For each course, please choose Beginner, Intermediate, or Advanced for the proficiency level, and either classical/literary Tibetan or spoken/colloquial Tibetan as the main subject.
- Introductory Course: 5 classes (or 5 hours total)
- Short Course: 10 classes (or 10 hours total)
- Medium Course: 20 classes (or 20 hours total)
- Long Course: 40 classes (or 40 hours total)
- Extensive Intensive Course: 80 classes (or 80 hours total)
Proficiency Levels – Please choose your level for each course:
- Beginner Level Courses are for students who are new or relatively new to the language, or who have only learned the basics (0-75 hours of previous study).
- Intermediate Level Courses are for students who have taken some Tibetan classes before, and are able to read Tibetan to some extent (75-150 hours of previous study).
- Advanced Level Courses are for students who have the ability to read Tibetan to a serviceable degree of facility, and who have a moderately large vocabulary (150–300 hours of previous study).
Classical/Literary Tibetan or Spoken/Colloquial Tibetan?
- Please choose either 1) classical/literary Tibetan or 2) spoken/colloquial Tibetan as the main subject for each course selected.
- Although both of these aspects of the language, respectively, will be included and referenced during the courses, it is better to focus only on one aspect at a time. The courses should be mainly centered around the study of either spoken/colloquial Tibetan OR classical/literary Tibetan, and will be structured accordingly.
- For most students, unless they plan on becoming an oral interpreter of spoken Tibetan, and/or plan on spending significant amounts of time around Tibetan people in Asia, classical/literary Tibetan is the more useful of the two.
Course payment details
- PayPal is the preferred mode of payment.
- PayPal email address: TibetanTeaching@gmail.com or TrikayaTranslations@gmail.com
- For PayPal payment, in order to avoid transfer fees, before sending the payment, please select “For friends and family”. Doing this eliminates transfer fees.
- If this is not possible for some reason, please include an extra 5 percent of the total bill in order to cover transfer fees.
- Payment through other methods is also possible. Please contact us for details.
- Courses are to be prepaid before beginning classes.
- Refunds are available only after the first class.
- Erick Tsiknopoulos, professional Tibetan-English translator and Tibetan language teacher
- Amazon author profile: amazon.com/author/ericktsiknopoulos
- Email: TibetanTeaching@gmail.com
- Highly literate in classical/literary Tibetan, and also has a high level of fluency in spoken/colloquial Tibetan.
- Lived in the Himalayan regions of India and Nepal among the Tibetan community from 2008 to 2019.
- Has been working as a professional Tibetan-English textual translator since 2009, and since then has produced English translations of hundreds of Tibetan texts. Many of which have been or will be published as books.
- Is familiar with most subjects of Tibetan Buddhist philosophy, theory and practice, and is able to teach on most Tibetan texts by way of linguistic analysis and their meanings, with reference to their specific context. This includes hermeneutic exegesis and scholastic commentary within the broader spectrum of Buddhist Studies, according to both Western and Tibetan models.
- Erick Tsiknopoulos is also able to teach in the medium of Tibetan language itself, teaching the classes in spoken Tibetan language, if desired or applicable, for more advanced students of spoken Tibetan.
Connection Method for Classes
- Skype and Zoom are the main apps used.
- For WhatsApp or Facebook video or audio call, please contact the teacher for contact details.
- Other video or audio call methods are also possible. Please state your preference.
Class times and scheduling
- To be arranged between teacher and student.
- Time zone differences must be taken into consideration for scheduling of classes.