Erick Tsiknopoulos, a professional Tibetan-English translator who has been working in the Tibetan-English translation and interpretation field since 2008 and studying Tibetan since 2005, offers a unique and effective Tibetan language learning experience. These classes are done live with the teacher via video call and/or audio call, and are structured in one-on-one, private learning sessions. Each course is specifically tailored to your own personal needs as a student. During each course, students may focus on either classical/literary Tibetan or spoken/colloquial Tibetan as their main study. Courses on Tibetan-English translation theory and practice and Buddhist philosophy are also offered.
- 4 levels — Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and Translator Training.
- Choose your own level of Tibetan proficiency, as per below.
- Beginner Level Courses are for students who are new or relatively new to the language, or who have only learned the basics (0-50 hours of previous study).
- Intermediate Level Courses are for students who have taken some Tibetan classes before, and are able to read Tibetan to some extent (50-100 hours of previous study).
- Advanced Level Courses are for students who have the ability to read Tibetan to a serviceable degree of facility, and who have a moderately large vocabulary (100-150 hours of previous study).
- Translator Training Level Courses are for students who are able to read at least some types of Tibetan texts to a high degree of literacy, and who wish to improve their Tibetan-English translation skills (150-200 hours of previous study).
Classical/Literary Tibetan or Spoken/Colloquial Tibetan?
- Please choose either 1) classical/literary Tibetan or 2) spoken/colloquial Tibetan as the main subject for each course selected.
- Although both of these aspects of the language, respectively, will be included and referenced during the courses, it is better to focus only on one aspect at a time; i.e. the courses should be centered around the study of either spoken/colloquial Tibetan OR classical/literary Tibetan, and structured accordingly.
- For most students, unless they plan on becoming an oral interpreter of spoken Tibetan, and/or plan on spending significant amounts of time around Tibetan people in Asia, classical/literary Tibetan is the more useful of the two.
Types of Courses
The following are the various types of courses which are offered to students:
- There are three (3) ‘tiers’ which define the time-frame for each individual class: Bronze Tier (1 hour classes), Silver Tier (1.5 hour classes), and Gold Tier (2 hour classes).
- The courses are divided into three (3) lengths by their respective number of classes: Short Courses (5 classes), Medium Courses (10 classes), and Long Courses (15 classes).
- Discounts are given for Silver Tier Courses: $5 discount per 1.5 hour class, and for Gold Tier Courses: $10 discount per 2 hour class.
- Discounts are also given for Medium Courses: 5 percent (5%) discount for 10 classes, and for Long Courses: 10 percent (10%) discount for 20 classes.
- Single classes are not possible. Students must select a Short Course (5 classes) at minimum.
Bronze Tier Courses: 1 hour classes (60 minutes) – USD $30 per class
For each Bronze Tier course, please choose Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced or Translation Training for the proficiency level, and either classical/literary Tibetan or spoken/colloquial Tibetan as the main subject.
- Bronze Short Course: 5 classes for USD $150 total (1 hour each, 5 hours)
- Bronze Tier Medium Course: 10 classes for USD $300 (1 hour each, 10 hours) – Minus 5% discount of $15 = USD $285 total
- Bronze Tier Long Course: 20 classes for USD $600 (1 hour each, 20 hours) – Minus 10% discount of $60 = USD $540 total
Silver Tier Courses: 1.5 hour classes (90 minutes) – USD $40 per class
For each Silver Tier course, please choose Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced or Translator Training for the proficiency level, and either classical/literary Tibetan or spoken/colloquial Tibetan as the main subject.
- Silver Tier Short Course: 5 classes for USD $200 total (1.5 hours each, 7.5 hours)
- Silver Tier Medium Course: 10 classes for USD $400 (1.5 hours each, 15 hours) – Minus 5% discount of $20 = USD $380 total
- Silver Tier Long Course: 20 classes for USD $800 (1.5 hours each, 30 hours) – Minus 10% discount of $80 = USD $720 total
Gold Tier Courses: 2 hour classes (120 minutes) – USD $50 per class
For each Gold Tier course, please choose Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced or Translator Training for the proficiency level, and either classical/literary Tibetan or spoken/colloquial Tibetan as the main subject.
- Gold Tier Short Course: 5 classes for USD $250 total (2 hours each, 10 hours)
- Gold Tier Medium Course: 10 classes for USD $500 (2 hours each, 20 hours) – Minus 5% discount of $50 = USD $450 total
- Gold Tier Long Course: 20 classes for USD $1000 (2 hours each, 40 hours) – Minus 10% discount of $100 = USD $900 total
Course payment details
- PayPal is the preferred mode of payment.
- PayPal email address: Erick@Tibetan-Translations.com (firstname.lastname@example.org) or EmptyElephant@yahoo.com (email@example.com)
- For PayPal payment, in order to avoid transfer fees, before sending the payment, please select “For friends and family”. Doing this eliminates transfer fees.
- If this is not possible for some reason, please include an extra 5 percent of the total bill in order to cover transfer fees.
- Payment through other methods is also possible. Please contact us for details.
- Courses are to be prepaid before beginning classes.
- Refunds are available only after the first class.
- Erick Tsiknopoulos, professional Tibetan-English translator and Tibetan language teacher
- Website: www.tibetan-translations.com
- Erick is highly literate in classical/literary Tibetan, and has a high level of fluency in spoken/colloquial Tibetan.
- He has been living in the Himalayan regions of India and Nepal among the Tibetan community since 2008.
- He has been working as a professional Tibetan-English textual translator since 2009, and since then has produced English translations of hundreds of Tibetan texts; many of which will be published as books in the near future.
- He is also familiar with most subjects of Tibetan Buddhist philosophy, theory and practice, and is able to teach on most Tibetan texts by way of linguistic analysis and their meanings, with reference to their specific context. This includes hermeneutic exegesis and scholastic commentary within the broader spectrum of Buddhist Studies, according to both Western and Tibetan models..
- Erick Tsiknopoulos is also able to teach in the medium of Tibetan language itself, teaching the classes in spoken Tibetan language, if desired or applicable.
Connection Method for Classes
- Skype ID: SherabZangpo84000
- Facebook video or audio call: Please contact the teacher for contact details.
- Other video or audio call methods are also possible. Please state your preference.
Class times and scheduling
- To be arranged between teacher and student.
- The teacher usually lives in India (and sometimes Eastern Europe), scheduling must take time-zone differences into account.
- 12 AM to 12 PM India time is usually the best time frame.
Please fill out the contact form below: